BIG+bold is a project in blogging and living life, from a twenty-something with too much to say.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

#12 Read 10 books (1/10)

I added reading ten books to my 25 by 25 list, because, well, I’ve sort of stopped reading books. With access to so much information (arguably more current and accurate information at that) online, books just slowly tapered out of my life. That said, there’s an art to writing a good book, obviously with fiction, but different with non-fiction that needs to be both current and accurate, and present new and useful information in the same way that blogs and articles can. So I’m trying to get back in touch with my appreciation of said art.

While unplanned, it seems fitting that the first of 10 books I read is based on a blog.

 
In Ignore Everybody, and 39 Other Keys to Creativity, Hugh Macleod shares his experience as an artist trying to make his way, and his journey to and through his blog, Gapingvoid. I first heard of Hugh MacLeod, Gapingvoid, and Ignore Everybody at Gaspedal's Word of Mouth Supergenius conference this summer in New York, where Hugh talked about the book and designed the conference's artwork.

Just one of the 39 keys that resonated with me? “36. Start blogging.”


It’s a quick read, with accessible language and good points, punctuated by Hugh’s business card illustrations. It doesn’t necessarily feel like he’s trying to offer advice (though I do think much of it is good advice, even if not totally applicable to my life), but uses his often funny and always entertaining stories to share what worked and didn’t work for him. And, considering Ignore Everybody is a Wall Street Journal best seller, I’d say it worked.

Read the first 25% of Ignore Everbody free at http://gapingvoid.com/books/. Follow Hugh on twitter @gapingvoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment